Sunday 27 February 2011

The beginning...

Last night I watched a film Julie and Julia (recommended viewing) which inspired me to equally commit myself to a project in a an area I have been dabbling with for a number of years. I am not a “green” nut, just a person wanting to save, economise, some like to call me scrooge, I like to think of as being thrifty (my Scottish roots showing through!).  To date I grow veggies, make jam, have a wood burner which has saved money but I want to do more, save more. My ideal is to be totally self-sufficient living off-grid, but considering where I live, I need to think of the practicalities and so will work towards my ideal and become MORE self-sufficient.  Growing veggies is a great reward and I have been doing so for the past five years after moving to my current house. My veggie plot which started out as a small bed of a few metres square has grown over the years producing a decent haul of potatoes, onions and beans. I grow tomatoes, courgette, chilli, herbs, various types of fruit, but my first task on the road to greater sufficiency is an even bigger veggie plot. It is time to take over the bottom of the garden – Nooooo I hear my husband cry as he knows it is de-turfing time!

I had great intentions to start de-turfing today, however as usual the MET Office got the forecast wrong and instead of a sunny morning – it rained all day! So my progress is very small as I took photos of the garden to plan the plots from the top of my shed; not so much fun when you are scared of heights!

No comments:

Post a Comment